To provide a comprehensive, multidisciplinary, non-operative education to physiatrists who wish to learn a wide variety of interventional and regenerative medicine techniques.
The fellowship provides in-depth training in all aspects of Regenerative Medicine and Interventional Spine Care including, but not limited to, fluoroscopically-guided spine procedures, electrodiagnostics, musculoskeletal ultrasound, and the management of general musculoskeletal/pain disorders, and pain conditions.
The fellowship is based entirely in our outpatient clinic with a multidisciplinary staff consisting of an interventional physiatrist, an anesthesiologist, spine surgeons, and physical therapists.
The fellowship training emphasizes the judicious use of diagnostic and therapeutic cervical, thoracic, and lumbosacral spine procedures. These include diagnostic and therapeutic epidural steroid injections, sacroiliac injections, sympathetic blockade, facet procedures (including radiofrequency denervation), provocation discography, percutaneous intradiscal procedures, and spinal cord stimulation. Training will have a heavy emphasis on regenerative medicine procedures including stem cell therapies with adipose and bone marrow, platelet rich plasma (PRP), and prolotherapy. Training will also include the interpretation of MRI, CT, and plain films.
Emphasis is placed on the selection of appropriate patients based on a comprehensive neuromusculoskeletal evaluation including history, physical examination, and diagnostic image interpretation. When appropriate, therapeutic image-guided procedures are incorporated into a comprehensive rehabilitation program. Currently, a wide variety of fluoroscopically and ultrasound-guided spine and joint/musculoskeletal procedures are performed weekly.
- Exposure to acute, sub-acute, and chronic musculoskeletal and spine pathology
- Opportunity to learn fluoroscopically-guided spinal injections under direct attending supervision at scheduled clinics
- Depending on the skill progression of the fellow, opportunity to do more the following complex procedures as appropriate:
- Cervical, thoracic, lumbar epidural injections
- Cervical, thoracic, lumbar selective nerve injections
- Cervical, thoracic, lumbar facet joint injections
- Cervical, thoracic, lumbar medial branch blocks
- Sacroiliac joint injections
- Intraarticular hip, knee, and shoulder injections
- Facet procedures (including radiofrequency neurotomy)
- Lumbar, thoracic, and cervical discography and intradiscal therapeutic procedures
- Spinal cord stimulation
- Botox injections
- Interpretation of MRI, CT, and plain films
- Opportunity to learn ultrasound-guided injections under direct attending supervision
- Advanced electrodiagnostic skills
The fellow is required to participate in:
- Outpatient clinic both independently and directly supervised by attending
- Procedure clinics directly supervised by attending
- Electrodiagnostic examinations both independently and directly supervised by attending
ABOUT VIRGINIA SPINE INSTITUE
For over 25 years VSI has provided the best quality spinal health care, non-operatively and operatively, to over 80,000 patients. Our physicians are ranked among the best in America. We have been designated as a Center for Excellence in spinal healthcare by the Spinal Research Foundation. VSI and our staff of 100 are thrilled to have been recognized as a Great Place to Work by the Washington Post, the Washington Business Journal and Washingtonian Magazine. We are also proud to work with elite local and professional athletes.
VSI is located just 15 miles from Washington, DC in beautiful Reston, VA, known for its active lifestyle, tremendous energy and highly educated community. We are 6 miles from Washington Dulles International Airport with Reagan National and Baltimore Washington airports within close proximity. Being located in Fairfax County not only brings rich culture and a diverse population but boasts highly ranked schools, incredible historical sites and easy access to a vast number of recreational activities.
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.