Traveling to exotic destinations for spring break is certainly exciting, but getting there can sometimes be a literal pain. If you have ever flown in an airplane, you know that the seats were designed with safety in mind — but not necessarily for comfort. Many airline seats lack lumbar support and ultimately place your back in an uncomfortable ‘C’ position. Additionally, adequate legroom is hard to come by for most travelers, especially for those over 6 feet tall. Follow these travel tips to ensure and safe and fun spring break!
• Book an aisle seat. This makes it so much easier for when you need to get in and out and can give you more room if you need to stretch out a bit.
• Pack as lightly as possible, especially if you are carrying your luggage. If possible use a carry-on with wheels.
• Pack some relaxing music to listen to. This can help you relax more and ease tension and stress which can exacerbate pain.
• Drink plenty of water. Altitude changes can cause dehydration! Try to avoid tea, coffee and alcohol as these will dehydrate you further.
• Move about the cabin when appropriate and stretch every hour or so
• Do some calf squeezes
• Move your ankles in a circular motion
• Carry on a small towel, t-shirt, or blanket
• Roll your item of choice and place is in the small of your back
• Roll it with enough thickness so that your knees are not being pushed forward
• Since each chair is different, and each person’s lumbar lordosis (curve in the low back) is different. One size does not fit all; just try it until it feels right.
• Take frequent breaks at rest stops. Be sure to stretch and move around.
• Remove your cell phone and/or wallet from your back pocket. Leaving these items in your pocket can create an abnormal sitting position which can exacerbate your discomfort.
• Make use of your car’s lumbar support. If your car does not provide adequate support, try rolling up a shirt or small towel.
• Utilize heated seat feature (when available) to help ease back pain.
• Share the driving role whenever possible.
• Maintain good posture.
Virginia Spine Institute’s reputation is unmatched as a world-renowned luxury destination in spinal healthcare, dedicated to providing an elevated level of concierge care for those suffering from neck and back conditions. For three decades, their proven methods have led them to dramatically improving the quality of life for over 100,000 patients, from 32 countries.
People seek care from Virginia Spine Institute because of their elite team of board-certified spine-specialized physicians offering unique approaches to safe and effective back and neck pain relief. As one of the few centers that begin treatment with non-surgical options before recommending surgery, 90% of their patients get better without spine surgery. Through a comprehensive model, Virginia Spine Institute is able to offer regenerative medicine, non-operative treatments, minimally-invasive spine surgery, and physical therapy through their team of spine specialists.
The team’s dedication to detail and patient success is a shining light in the field of spinal healthcare. As pioneers and leaders in this field, they have also accomplished many of the world’s firsts in spine surgery by using modern treatments and cutting-edge technology not offered anywhere else.